Hi there! I'm a note in your vault.
At the same time, I'm also just a Markdown file sitting on your hard disk. It's all in plain text, so you don't need to worry about losing me in case [[Obsidian]] disappears one day.
If you're in a hurry, here's some quick places to dive in:
- How to [[Create notes|create new notes]].
- How to create [[Internal link|internal links]]
- How to use [[Format your notes|Markdown]] to format your notes
- How to [[embed files]], or embed other notes
- [[Keyboard shortcuts]]
- How to [[Work with multiple notes|open multiple files side by side]]
- The [[Command palette]] contains most of the commands you need to work with Obsidian. Just press
Ctrl/Cmd-Pand start typing.
- Obsidian can be extended with [[List of plugins|plugins]]. Several are available by default, and can be enabled or disabled according to your needs.
If you want a more thorough introduction, including a bit about our philosophy, check out [[Obsidian]].
And if you'd like a gentle introduction, or just want to get started but don't know how, head over to [[Basic note taking]].
Obsidian is a tool that can be used in many ways, from a simple list of notes to a very powerful knowledge management system. We suggest you start at your own pace, and build it into the tool you need.
Here are a few ways to get started:
If you want to just start taking notes, check out [[Basic note taking]]
If you already have a collection of notes in markdown format, just choose them for your Vault. Go to the Settings gear in the lower left, choose "Vault," and select the directory your notes are in.
If you have notes from ==Roam Research==, [[Import data from Roam|here's how to import them]].
If you're using the ==Zettelkasten method==, you'll want to [[Zettelkasten method|read more about it here]].
If you'd like to know more about Obsidian, you can [[Obsidian|read about our story]].
By the way, you can feel free to edit these help docs, but when you click Settings => Help => Read Help again, they will be overwritten. So, don't put anything in them you want to keep.
I have questions.
Then you should join our community on discord. [relevant link will go here when appropriate. If you're reading this now, you're already there.]